Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Oh Drat!

I love to watch HGTV. There you have it . . . . I have an addiction. What better to watch when you are getting up and down, going in and out, dozing off when you think you're watching the news, stalking blogs, or just getting your swollen foot up for a few minutes before it gets too BIG.

One of my favorites has become Cash in the Attic. It is fun to snoop through the dark corners of other people houses and confirm, once again, that we have lots of funny old stuff that isn't worth a cent.

Today I came in from outside, in the middle of the show. They were already at the auction and up came a collection of old keys. The auctioneer sold them as a collection and the price was going to be per key, for the whole collection. Would you believe they went for $40 . . . . per key?!?!? That gave them $280!!

Now that would just be cool to me except, that when we cleared out my mom's and dad's house, I brought home "the cookie jar" . I vaguely remember it having a lid that was slightly domed with a little knob in the middle. Other than that, it was just always somewhere handy to throw . . . you got it, old keys! (never cookies) Most were from old cars, old houses, some from Grandpa Joe's house, some from the auction that my parents used to frequent. Mom liked the "pretty ones". She had some cute ideas of ways to use them, so have I . . . ah hem . . . and you know the rest of that story! At least I did "cull out most of them".



Some were just ordinary ones like these . . . . and others were pretty . . . .like these . . .





Shall I find where I stashed the pretty ones and break tradition? Maybe I will just keep an eye open for them and be ready to make a shadow box when I see them next, what the heqq, what would it hurt?

Fun Memory: When my oldest nephew was probably about Garrett's age, he LOVED keys. He would grab any set he could get his hands on and start trying them. You never knew where they would end up at. So Grandma or Grandpa made up a set for him out of the old keys. He had already rejected the plastic kind, he wanted "real ones"! He liked having his own set, until he had tried them in every door and key hole and found they fit nothing. A very indignant little boy returned the keys because he still wanted "real keys", that would open or lock something!

2 comments:

Eldredge Family said...

You would be so proud! I made my very own batches of soap today! I feel like a provident living gal! Whatever that means!

I love old keys. I wanted to get my housed re keyed to have the keys look like the old fashion locks! They still have keys like that in Italy DJ said!

Sharron said...

Good girl. I couldn't get my soap bars dried out enough, even in the food dehydrator. So I put them into the garage until the weather dried out. Yesterday, I found dry bars under a sink, went to get the borax and soda and found that the chunks out there had dried out! So now I have an old ice cream bucket full. Enjoy yours!