Sunday, January 11, 2009

My Selfish Weekend ... or ... The Many Hats of Jon




I should be doing some cannery work, but I seem to need to reflect on thoughts rattling around in my head today.

It has been a busy weekend, for Jon. Rob needed a ride up to Phoenix on Friday & Saturday mornings. I agreed to it and then pawned Friday morning off onto poor Jon, for various reasons. On saturday morning he got up early and started to get dressed. I reminded him that I was going and he said that he thought he should go ahead and do it cause he was used to driving all over the state, blah, blah, blah. Actually "blah" isn't a good term to use. He was being very kind. I have finally learned how to tell when he has thought something through and that it might just be time to shut my mouth and not argue. Now, of course, I feel guilty because he came racing home on Thursday night to get to a bishopric training mtg over at the stake center, (no he isn't in the bishopric, he's a clerk. Jeff requested him to go to these training mtgs) and then had to do all this driving. It did keep his cranky wife less agitated over a situation and helped her be a little easier to be home with, even though we missed most of our time together this weekend.

I was really going to try to get lots done while he was gone, but ran around Tucson instead and then escaped into an old romance novel when I got back home, in between phone calls. Now of course, I feel guilty over that. Hum-m-m-m-m maybe Jon just pulled another one on me and I'm not smart enough to realize it!

Speaking about arguing .... when Jon and I were dating, I was running my mouth about something, can't remember about what, but those who know me, understand that I was born with a tongue attached in the middle so both ends can go all at once. I looked at this nice, quiet man I was with. He cocked one eyebrow ever so slightly and had a very subtle "look" on his face. It shut me up instantly. All I could think was, "Ooooo, that was kind of exciting!" The more I thought about it, the more exciting I found it.

It took me awhile to figure out why I reacted to something that would usually have irritated me. It finally occured to me that I had finally found a guy that I really respected and wanted him to feel the same about me. Now keep in mind I was 27 and had spent the last couple of years hating men and had a plan for my life that did not include any man! This was pretty big stuff for me. I think this was the point that I made sure that the trap I baited on our first date, would not let him wiggle out if and when it finally went off ;-)

I'm glad he didn't wiggle when the trap went off, it has been quite a trip, this marriage thing. Lots of ups and downs, but well worth it. Think I'll keep my ole' feller!

2 comments:

Katrina said...

That is a great post!! What a good man you have. Isn't funny how our husbands can have that effect on us? Adam tends to be the same way. Thank heavens, it would be hard being married to someone just like me!!!

Liz said...

You definitely hit pay dirt when you found John. He has always been so kind, compassionate, and rock steady in the Gospel. You two are perfect for each other and have always been a good example to me.