Finished . . . . . . . my new favorite word!


I bought this curio cabinet at a yard sale a loooong time ago. I have been waiting to have the glass in the door, mirror in the back and glass shelves made for way too long. On whim I took the door down to the glass place along with a pattern for the shelves and measurements for the back mirror. Brought it all home and proceeded to break all of the shelves.
Jon and I were moving it from the wall to measure the back because they had cut glass instead of a mirror and it was not the right measurements. We left the shelves in place and down they went, $35 down the drain. We decided to just haul the whole thing down to them. It all fits beautifully now. . . . and looks so nice with it's new coat of Old English Oil. I really slathered it and now waiting now to see how much of the oil soaks in.
I have a plate with a Norman Rockwell print on it for one shelf and haven't decided what will go on the rest. Guess it will depend on what ends up on the secretary shelves in the living room.
No, I don't call this finished, but I have been stewing over how to make pieces to fill in the two holes in the wall here forever! I finally decided to make one out of the two, and stewed some more. One night, I got butcher paper and pressed it into the hole edges to mark it and had a pattern. I am looking for the rather large bucket of sheet rock filler stuff, what is that called anyway? I know it's here, but at least there are no exposed wires for the boys to dig around in now. I do know where the texturing stuff and the paint is so as soon as I can fill the cracks, it's a done deal.
Now this hole is in the same laundry closet, now kitchen addition. There used to be the world's ugliest light used to be in this hole. I put the new light forward so that it would highlight the cute things in the shelves, so still had a hole to deal with.
Cold wind was blowing down the hole one winter day so I draped the towel in there to slow it down.
We have decided to put a bathroom fan in there to take the hot air out of the area when I am running the toaster or microwave ovens. So far, all we can find are quiet ones that are too big and noisy ones that "might" fit. It would probably look better to just fill it in and cheaper, so that may win out. . . in fact it is pretty likely to be the solution.
Right now, I am going to putty the glass in this little gem. I have some time to kill before I would feel OK about making much noise outside cutting the sides out of old tires for gardening. You can see my "technique" here.
Can you believe I am doing this? I CAN'T. As I grew up, you just didn't do this . . . "they" did it. My friends, the Reidheads, had some in their yards and gardens and I just thought, OK, that is actually kind of cute. It has been an adventure figuring out how to cut the sides out, but I have it down now and the neighbor offered some more when I was talking to him yesterday. When I got home, there they were waiting for me. Jon showed them to me and had the funniest little smile on his face. Maybe he is looking at the money I am saving or just happy to see me busy and happy as I accomplish goals.



1 comment:
I bet he was smiling for a bit of both reasons! :)
Post a Comment