For the last few years, Mariah and I have gone and volunteered at the Mountain View High School's Grad Night. It's usually lots of fun, once we get there. Both of us would probably just stay at home all the time if we could, but that isn't what we are here on the earth for, is it? Life is what you make of it, especially for others, so off we go!
The theme was kind of a Aladdin/Moroccan type with lots of glitz. As you walk in, it just seems to pull you in and get you in the mood for a fun night. The kids have to show up by midnight or their parents are called and they can’t leave without parents involvement. It would be nice if more schools would do this. It does seem to help kids have a good time celebrating without the danger that takes graduates each year.
In the past we have gone down at midnight and worked until 3 or 4 in the morning. That is NOT my best time to be functional, so this year we help with the first, sit-down dinner that they served right after the graduation. They did a great job setting the mood in the cafeteria, had lots of help, so when the kids starting to show up, all was ready to start serving. The food came from Famous Dave’s BBQ. I have been told repeatedly that I should drag Jon over there, but never could manage it for one reason or another. It is good food! Since I had a gimpy wrist, they had me fill plates to make sure that I didn’t drop a plate down someone’s neck or in their lap. That gave me the chance to visit with Kim O. It has been a long time since we had much time to visit so that was fun catching up on all the news. She is the cutest lady and just never changes . . . but you still gotta love her. Such a nice one to be around!
Clean up was fast, once again, with lots of help and then we were on our way home!
1. Dorothy, Amy and Stephanie setting up for the dinner . . . and we actually got it done in time!! 2. Ready for serving. 3. Mariah, Reiko, and Marsha all ready to serve up nachos, ice cream and who knows what else. This is where Mariah, Staci, Wendy, and I spent our time last year, in the middle of the night.



1. A little way to work off that big dinner since food is served ALL night long! 2. The path to all the fun in the gym. 3. A little treasure from Aladdin's Cave.



These have absolutely nothing to do with Grad Nite. I just got a kick out of seeing that some of the thousands of flags I have sewn or repaired have not been tossed, but used to decorate the cafeteria. They actually looked pretty net up there!
5 comments:
Looks like fun! :) That is neat that they do that. Those kinds of traditions are worth keeping around.
You are right about serving others and I know for fact that you have many blessings in store for you. Your service to me and my family have been priceless to us! The flags are cool and I'm glad that they saved and re-purposed them! Makes you feel like your work was appreciated.
I wish our school would have done a Grad nite. I'm glad you take the chance to serve others that in it's self is an example.
Once a party animal, always a party animal! Or something like that.
Can I get your address?
Post a Comment