Friday, October 2, 2009

Wonderful Memory . . .

See full size image This morning we got to "sleep-in"! Till almost 7:30 am. Then I got busy making a good old fashioned southern breakfast, minus the biscuits . . didn't want to take that much time. I broke out the bacon, left all the grease and dumped in two eggs for each of us. As I watched the eggs frothing up in the grease, that was probably a little too hot, I was swept back to when Rob was a little baby.

We had traveled back to Durant, OK to see Jon's cute little tiny Aunt Georgia Mae. She never did see the north side of five feet. Since Jon's mom passed away before we met, Aunt Georgia Mae has kind of been connection with her.

Anyway, I was in the kitchen visiting while Aunt was making breakfast, helping occasionally, but just enjoying the sweet southern presence mainly. She had fried bacon and then started cracking eggs into all that grease! Normally, I wouldn't have even noticed, but I was in my first attempt at losing weight with WW. I just knew that they were going to be totally greasy, but I couldn't say a word and would have to pretend they were yummy, like everything she ever cooked with her love generously sprinkled on.

We sat down, I took a bite, and they were absolutely heavenly! I was a ruined woman . . . I never told Aunt Georgia Mae how she turned me around on that dieting, for then anyway. But now that she is one darlin' little angel, I guess she knows, and that it was worth every bite!

5 comments:

Brianna said...

Rob speaks of her often. I am sad that I never got to meet her in this life, but look forward to meeting her in the next.

Dansie Family said...

my favorite kind. we don't make bacon a ton because i absorb the smell for days but when we do, that is the best way to fry an egg. and toast too.

Sandi and Curtis said...

Memories are terrific aren't they?!!! That is the only thing we get to take with us.

Liz said...

what a great tip!

Liz said...

I Love eggs that way...I turn the heat down and slowly spoon the hot grease over the top until it's cooked...makes a perfect egg everytime and you never have to flip it and risk breaking the yolk...I KNOW it's not healthy but oh so good! I've heard of Aunt Georgia Mae often she sounds like a sweet lady.