Thursday, June 24, 2010

Just Things I'm Thinking About . . . . . .

Last night I was the family "Cat Herd" around, gathering silk trees, tulle all that familiar stuff.  As I went from home to home, I learned a lesson, again.  I am thankful that I didn't realize some of my girlhood dreams.

I remember going through the model homes in whatever area I lived in.  I, of course, would dream of living in the big old two-story models with all the bells and whistles.  Even when we were looking for a house here, I was looking at some of those houses.  I did think twice when I heard from friends how hard it was to keep those upper floors decently cool in the summer time, which to me is about 8-9 months out of the year!


One day I realized that I really liked the smaller cottage-style homes and a basement would be so wonderful, and COOLER.  See a theme here yet?   I love how cozy they look, and I don't mean that in real estate terms ;-)

I would love the big deep shady porch, the various materials, clean orderly lines, so unlike my current situation.  This is what prompted me to ask Stephen to help me draw up a plan to give me goal to aim for.

So now my dream is to accomplish this.  Hopefully, I will conquer that angle grinder so that won't destroy anymore pavers before I get that last two feet done.  At least now I do have lots of small pieces to choose from to fill in the last three inch gap I didn't realize was lurking there.

What got me thinking about all this is that when I went into an enormous house with a very expensive vehicle in the driveway that screamed $$.  Yes, I am being a bit judgemental, forgive me.  The lady "A" that was there was very nice, helpful and seemed to be a kind, generous person.  When I left I was left with a feeling of relief. I kept thinking about it and wondering why.  I realized that she reminded me of someone else, "B", who wasn't very comfortable with her living situation.  "B"'s home was filled with very many items that were very expensive and showy.  "A"'s  home was not, just very large but decorated nicely and simply.  I realized there was nothing that would show their spiritual beliefs, only two of any family members, great big portraits of the kids, probably senior portraits.  I love to see "who" lives in home when I go into them.  I love seeing all the generations on the walls.  What makes them, them.  Why they are the way they are.

This has recharged my batteries of determination.  I want to get my projects done.  I want to get more current pictures of my wonderful, beautiful family back up on the walls and piano.  I want to get the Savior's picture up in the middle of my family pictures again and the temple back up there as well.  I want a constant reminder that it isn't what we have, it's who we are, how we live and serve, how we utilize our blessings to bless the lives of others that counts.
In other words:

  • All but two feet of pavers                                                        check
  • More mending                                                                         check
  • More ironing                                                                           check
  • Girls' camp pillow cases sewn                                                  check
  • Get all the Girls' camp stuff out of the house                              check
  • Have a heart full of gratitude for what & who I am blessed with and the potential felt      check
  • Get a very sound asleep little Gabriel in jammies & tucked in     check
  • Go to bed and enjoy a good night's sleep to get an early start in the am     check

3 comments:

Brianna said...

Being so busy and in our first home, I have so many pictures I want to get up on the walls...and I hope to do so by the end of the summer. But yesterday I got to put up 3 pictures of our family...current ones. And it felt so good and made me so happy!!!! For christmas the girls will be getting a picture of a temple and one of the Savior in frames that are perfect for their room. We've been saving a space on their wall for those important kind of pictures and just need to shop around for the ones we like best. I know they will be excited about it, and I am too!!!

Dunklees said...

Such a poignant observation! And great job on the checklist - check, check, check!

Tamra and Jim said...

i love this post. so very true, isn't it? i love our basement but not so fond of the stairs.