Oops! I started to post one thing and went to another . . . I guess it should be called:
"Sometimes I Hate to Say Good-bye"
This morning at 4:00 a.m. Jon & I watched our baby drive off. She is by herself, driving across the hottest part of the country. (Yes, Mariah & Rob, we felt the same with you. In moments like this, you are once again our babies!) Her car has been worked on repeatedly the last six months and was finally finished at 9:00 p.m. last night. The engine was opened up less than two weeks ago to redo half the work from last December. If anyone besides Don had been working on it, I just don't think I could have let her go. I know we can trust his work and opinion. I don't know about Jon, but it was heart wrenching for me. Is this how my mom felt when I used to drive from Provo to Phoenix, by myself, in the heat, through the reservations of Northern Arizona in a crazy little Datsun (not Nissan, it was before Nissan days) with no AC . . . and the first few years, no radio. INSANE!
Sarah called at 8:00 a.m. and said that she was about to leave Yuma, after gassing up (35 MPG!!). Her journey is half over . . . at least the journey going to camp school. She has a journey that will take her up to Northern California in a week and then she will start the journey of being in charge of the water front at a boy scout camp for the summer. She has done so many jobs at so many scout camps. They always seem to trust her to take any assignment and do it, well. She has her moments, but she follows through until the job is done.
I have not understood her making a choice that seems to back tracking to me. At the same time, I have felt like something will come of this summer. With Sarah, it often seems to make no sense, but then at the end of the experience, one can look back and it makes perfect sense. It will be interesting to look back some day.
When you hold these little tiny new spirits in your arms for the first time, you try to imagine what paths they will follow. So far, my children have all marched to the beat of their own drums. It has been quite a journey for Jon & I. We never know what they will bring into "our" lives next . . . . or their lives. But then when we look back over our lives, we have jumped tracks so many times, not always by our choice. Then it was time to dig in and make do. To this day, we are wondering which train will run us down over us in the next few months . . . that has been our story since Jon retired from DPS and I guess it will be for the rest of our lives.
Que sera, sera! We will make the best of it and find the challenges can bring us closer, make us stronger and help us appreciate each other more . . . . . and we will still not be bored?!?!?
And now, it is time to keep myself busy as can be so that time will pass until I get the call that Sarah has arrived and I can relax a bit . . . until she is driving north to N. CA.
Back in AZ July Fun! 24th of July, Pioneer Day!
10 years ago
1 comment:
Sounds like Sara has quite the adventurous summer ahead of her and I'm sure she will be fine. What a fun summer job in a super "Cool" place! Keep us posted on her safe arrival.
Post a Comment